It smells, but it is an excellent keeper of our health. The garlic is a natural remedy for many diseases and it is even an aphrodisiac. Nonetheless, you should be reasonable in everything and in the consumption of this super ingredient as well. For help with the bad breath you can use some lemon juice, milk, fresh parsley, mint or 2-3 coffee beans.
There are many ingredients that have healing effect on our organism, and the king among them is the garlic, of course. There are many written articles, published book about its usefulness. It was used as a healing ingredient in old Egypt, and even Hippocrates used to recommend it for the good health.
Healing ingredient with an unpleasant smell
However, we usually avoid this ingredient, because of its unpleasant smell. And exactly allicin gives that smell of the garlic, an organic compound that is released during the crushing or chewing of the garlic and it is the most responsible for the healing properties of the garlic. Scientists say that we would be much healthier if we ate garlic every day.
Here are ten reasons why you should include garlic in your diet:
1. The daily consumption of garlic reduces the risk of cold for 50 percent. However, if you have already caught the cold, with the garlic you will eliminate the cold better and faster.
2. Only one clove of garlic a day is a good source of vitamin A, B, C, and some important minerals such as iron, selenium, potassium, zinc, calcium and magnesium.
3. The garlic protects our cardiovascular system, prevents the calcification of blood vessels, protects us from heart diseases and stroke and stimulates the decomposition of blood clots. The garlic is recommended for detoxification of the body. Some scientists claim that the garlic can help for the better functioning of the liver and cleaning it from mercury, various food additives and excess hormones.
4. That “smelly” ingredient has antibacterial and antiviral properties, which means that it can help the organism in the fight against any kind of infections. Scientists believe that with the help of the allicin from the garlic, they will be able to put under control the bacteria known as “staphylococcus aureus”, which is almost completely resistant to antibiotics. According to a German study, the garlic helps the body in the fight against the HIV virus.
5. Due to the strong antioxidant properties, the garlic slows down the aging process and prevents from cancer as well. For people who eat garlic very often, the risks of cancer on the foodpipe, breasts, colon, and stomach are very low.
6. It is known that the garlic has anti-inflammatory properties, and it can ease the symptoms of arthritis, rheumatism and gout, and asthma attacks.
7. The garlic contains probiotics, or indigestible carbohydrates that serve as food for the “good” bacteria in the colon.
8. Some studies have confirmed that the fresh garlic helps in the prevention from food poisoning because it destroys some bacteria such as Escherichia coli and salmonella. Among the people it was also used to clean children’s worms.
9. The garlic destroys bacteria, viruses, and fungi, and it can help with the healing of some infections such as athlete’s foot, herpes and warts.
10. It is little known that the garlic helps with sexual problems because it has aphrodisiac properties.
Those who love garlic and want to be healthy, but not smelly, found various tricks how to stay on good terms with their colleagues. The bad breath caused by the garlic can be eliminated with some lemon juice or milk, also by chewing fresh parsley, mint, apples or 2-3 coffee beans. The intense smell of the garlic will be significantly milder if you pour some olive oil over the crushed clove of garlic. But for those who want at all costs to avoid the inconvenience caused by the bad breath, as well as for those who have a sensitive stomach, there are capsules with garlic extract.
You should not exaggerate with the garlic as well!
Although it is a proven healing super ingredient, you should not exaggerate with the consumption of raw garlic. Too much garlic can also cause damage to the digestive tract. Also, due to its anticoagulation properties, it is not recommended in large amount to people prone to bleeding, and you should not eat it too much a week before any kind of surgery.
If you notice, immediately after eating garlic, any kind of skin rash or fever and headache, it is a sign that you – are allergic to this ingredient.
If you are taking birth control pills, antivirals or other medications, you should consult your doctor about eating garlic. For example, according to some studies, the garlic can cause side effects if it is combined with a drug cocktail used in the fight against AIDS or HIV virus.